About Me

Lindsay M Starr is a beadwork and mixed media artist currently based in Nashville, TN. She spent her early childhood in Alaska, and her school age and college years in Oregon. Lindsay has a great appreciation for history, science, and nature and is consistently inspired by insects, sea life, color, and the significance of beads and beadwork throughout human history. She spends her days beading, walking at the zoo, and practicing yoga. Lindsay loves to share her knowledge and passion for beads and beadwork to hobbyists of all skill levels.

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Sunday Funday - Week 12 & 13

First two weeks of January 2015!


Some of you might have noticed that I didn't write my regular Sunday Funday post last week.  Ever since I re-started blogging in the fall my goal was simply to blog once a week, and if I had more to say than that then bonus posts, yay!  Well, with the advent of working full time again, I'm finding it a bit of a struggle to sit and really focus on blog posts on the weekend.  As (I hope) you know, I also write a post for the Art Jewelry Elements blog every other Sunday, and last week I just got overwhelmed by needing to post twice in one day.  So for now, I'm going to post here on Saturday and on the AJE blog the next day (like last week), and on Sunday the next week.  SO, back to your regularly scheduled programming ... for...now.   Ha!


All that being said, please do check out my post on the AJE blog that I posted last week.  I've been thinking a lot about all the great beads that I've stashed over the years, and in my post I talk about why it can be so difficult to use those beads.  It was a fun topic for me to investigate, and it seems like many of my beady friends have similar issues too!  I hope you check it out!  


I HAVE finally made some time for beading!  This week I've been taking my Beading Back in Time blog hop challenge project to work, and beading during the second half of my lunches.  I don't want to talk too much about the project until the end of the month, but here's a fun collage of my progress, and you should check out Sherri's intro post too!

I also FINALLY finished a necklace for my fellow AJE writer and friend, Lesley Watt of THEA Elements.  


Awhile ago, Lesley sent me a great selection of her work, with the understanding that I would make her something out of the bronze clay ammonite cabs.  


I've been working on this piece on and off for months, and am just so relieved that I finally had an epiphany about how to make the strap.  It has actually been sitting, with all the embroidery done, backed, and edged, just waiting for me to figure out the strap situation since before Thanksgiving.  I really dislike when I take on projects for other people and then can't get them done in (what I feel is) a timely manner.  


So for the last couple of weeks I've had the embroidery out where I could see it.  I figured that would push it to the forefront of my mind and get me thinking about what I didn't like about my original ideas and help to come up with something new and different.  Lo and behold!  Yesterday I actually figured out something, and I'm really excited with how it turned out.  I love it so much that I'm excited to try this technique again with other pieces!  I felt like the leather would add a rustic and casual element, that kind of mirrored the feeling of the bronze, which is in turn elevated by the delicate beadwork.  


And here's your beauty shot, of course!  I love working with fossils and fossil inspired components.  My favorite thing about working with such primordial themes is creating a new environment for these creatures - bringing them back to life.  

 Please keep watching my blog and Facebook page for inspiration and updates.  Don't forget to check out my Etsy shop too...lots of fun fossil jewelry over there!  And, as always, thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment