About Me

Lindsay M Starr is a beadwork and mixed media artist currently based in Nashville, TN. She spent her early childhood in Alaska, and her school age and college years in Oregon. Lindsay has a great appreciation for history, science, and nature and is consistently inspired by insects, sea life, color, and the significance of beads and beadwork throughout human history. She spends her days beading, walking at the zoo, and practicing yoga. Lindsay loves to share her knowledge and passion for beads and beadwork to hobbyists of all skill levels.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Jet Black Challenge!

In my numerous searches for challenges and blog hops to keep myself occupied, I stumbled across a fun blog that runs monthly themed challenges, Operation Tackle That Bead Stash.  October's theme is Jet Black - you can only use black beads!  No other colors, and we all know how much I love creating in monochrome...wait, where's my sarcasm font?
At least I had an idea.  I had recently seen someone make a super long pendant necklace using large two hole beads, and decided to attempt something inspired by that.  Something lightweight, but with much graphic visual impact.  This is where I ended up:

I used quite a few vintage glass beads in this necklace - all of the rounds in the strap, the faceted 2-hole sew-on above the ring, and the 3-hole bead below the ring (middle hole is unused).
I love that large Czech pressed glass square 2-hole bead - like a giant tile!  I think this is only the second or third time I've used rizo's...I love their little spikey presence in the bottom loops.  
I had originally intended just to use this glass ring as a connector...but it needed a little bit more texture.  So I made a couple of warped squares that ended up fitting into the center of the ring - stitched them together, and around the ring for stability, leaving enough room at the top and bottom for everything to swing freely.
I used a TierraCast J-hook and ring as a clasp...I love how the granulation on the edges mirrors the texture of the beads.  I am going to have to look through my stash for more two holed beads...I would like to attempt more necklaces like this in different colors!  It would make a great holiday staple for someone!  
Ah, the sun came out momentarily for this picture - love the shadows!  This necklace is listed in my Esty shop, and don't forget to keep up with my daily beading exploits on my Facebook page!  I will edit this post with a link to the blog challenge as soon as they post it - there is still plenty of time to enter if you are so inclined.  Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment